The Virtual Teaching and Learning Innovation Expo in the Metaverse is our finale event of a two-year inter-institutional initiative, “Establishing Effective Virtual Teaching Strategies to Support Learning Beyond the Classroom”, generously supported by the UGC fund of the Inter-institutional Collaborative Activities. The exhibition is jointly organised by The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK), The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST), City University of Hong Kong (CityU), and Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU). In addition, it is in collaboration with the Teaching and Learning Community of Practice at the Centre for Learning Enhancement And Research (CLEAR) of CUHK.
This showcase exhibition will be held virtually in the Metaverse on 15 June 2023 (Thursday). It will comprise real-time keynote speeches by scholars from CUHK, CityU, HKBU, and HKUST and pre-recorded presentations. It provides an excellent opportunity for teachers and professional staff to showcase their VTL practice and exchange ideas with like-minded colleagues.
Call for pre-recorded presentations
We welcome different VTL ideas and practice spanning individual courses, departmental or community programmes, as well as institutional initiatives. Topics include but are not limited to:
• Adoption of VTL in traditional classrooms
• VTL strategies to support learning beyond the classroom
- Exploration of new learning venues (e.g. gamification, location-based learning, AR/VR/AI-mediated learning)
- Internationalisation collaborations
- New extra-curricular learning (e.g. e-service learning, e-peer learning and e-academic advising)
Abstract submission guidelines
The corresponding author must collect and enter the following information for the abstract submission:
• Contact data - name of the author(s) and affiliation
• Presentation title
• Presentation abstract – 100-word abstract
• Language - The abstract must be written in English
• To submit, please go to our online submission system [Registration is now closed]
Please note that the abstract for submission should be in the MS Word format (DOC or DOCX).
• The abstracts will be reviewed by the Organising Committee. Assessment criteria include the clarity of presentation, the relevance to the themes of the VTL Innovation Expo, and the originality of the concepts or approaches used in the work.
• All accepted abstracts and videos will be housed in the Exhibition website and related event platform.
Video submission guidelines
Author(s) of each accepted abstract is required to submit a video for presentation:
- Videos must be from 3-5 minute long and submitted in MP4 format
- We welcome presentations in any format. For example, author can present in front of a camera OR your voice over the PowerPoint / PDF.
• All accepted abstracts together with a 5-minute (max) videos will be showcased on Mozilla Hubs, a virtual space using mixed reality that allows first-person nature either by VR or keyboard and mouse, on the day of the event and onwards for one week.
Abstract submission deadline: 24 March 2023 (Friday)
Extended to 30 April 2023 (Sunday)
Notification of abstract acceptance/rejection: 6 April 2023 (Thursday)
Extended to 5 May 2023 (Friday)
Presentation recording submission deadline: 30 April 2023 (Sunday)
Extended to 12 May 2023 (Friday)
Keynote sessions and exhibition
15 June 2023 (Thursday)
For any queries, please contact the event team by email to firstname.lastname@example.org